Composer/arranger James Stevens explains his idea for this inspiring project!
***We apologize to those that have been waiting for the July 24 release of the video, but we need to delay just a little longer. The release date for the video will be August 7, 2020. As of this update, July 24 (we apologize for the last minute notice), we are almost to the final editing stage, and we will be putting the final touches on the video this coming week. While we are all anxious for this video to be released as soon as possible, I hope you will agree (when you see the video!) that it has been worth the wait. Your participation in this video (all 800 of you!) has made it so special, and we look forward to sharing it with you and millions of other people around the world on August 7 (the 6-year anniversary of the original video's release!). Thank you for your patience!***
How it all works
Nearly 8,000 people from 130 countries have downloaded the sheet music to BYU School of Music alum James L. Stevens' a cappella arrangement of "Nearer, My God, to Thee" from our website over the last four years. In addition to that amazing worldwide reach, the BYU Vocal Point and BYU Men's Chorus music video performance of this piece has been viewed over 26 million times on YouTube! And now, we are inviting YOU to join BYU Vocal Point and other singers and instrumentalists from universities, conservatories, high schools, and other places around the world in creating the first VIRTUAL worldwide choral and orchestral recording of this new edition!*
To be part of this global project, you will video record yourself performing your part, and then you will send us a link to your recording. We will then edit all of the videos together to create one epic music video! ***The DEADLINE for submissions is Friday, May 8, 2020.*** The final music video is currently slated to be premiered on YouTube on June 12, 2020.
Click on the appropriate link below for your instrument or voice part, and follow the instructions on how to RECORD and SUBMIT your video. If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-801-422-8189.
- STRINGS: Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola 1, Viola 2, Violoncello, Contrabass
- BRASS: 1 Horn in F, 2 Horn in F, Trumpet in Bb, Trombone, Tuba
- WOODWINDS: Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, English Horn, Clarinet in Bb, Bassoon
- PERCUSSION: Timpani, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Cymbals, Tam-tam
- CHOIR: Soprano, Alto, Tenor 1, Tenor 2, Baritone, Bass + Tenor Solo (by audition)
- See message above the Tenor Solo Guide Video for additional information about submitting a video as a soloist. The solo opportunity is open to men and women.
* For conductors: If you are interested in obtaining sheet music for your ensemble to perform this new choir and orchestra edition at a later date, please complete the following score request form: https://forms.gle/x1dgbWgVcpFDm8jFA.
Special thanks to the Lyceum Philharmonic who premiered the orchestral version of this arrangement with BYU Vocal Point in 2018.